Thanks Scott! Much appreciated. The pattern makes sense. Have a great
weekend.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Scott Gray <scott.g...@hotwaxsystems.com>
wrote:

For example, a current project has some heavily used FinAccount rows and
the OFBiz implementation has a tendency to modify the child rows
(FinAccountAuth/FinAccountTrans) before modifying the parent FinAccount
row.  This very easily results in a deadlock as soon as one of the
competing transactions attempts to perform an update on the FinAccount
record.  This happens because the child row modifications result in a
shared lock on the parent row due to the foreign key constraint, but once
multiple transactions both have that shared lock, neither can update the
FinAccount without causing a deadlock exception.

So my quick fix solution is to acquire a lock on the FinAccount record
*before* any child rows are modified:
delegator.storeByCondition("FinAccount", UtilMisc.toMap("lastUpdatedStamp",
UtilDateTime.nowTimestamp()), EntityCondition.makeCondition("finAccountId",
finAccountId));

Assuming all code paths relating to modifying FinAccount data are following
this strategy then each transaction will have to queue on this update
statement until their turn comes up.  Voila, deadlocks are gone.

Regards
Scott