A well written perl or shell script can take "original.jpg" in directory
"x" and create, multiple larger/smaller images with the same "root" name.
You can use image magic, an image processor package, to do this.  Basic
stuff for anyone who knows shell scripting.

You can then import these images using a single XML data_reader file, and
import it into OFB.  Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<entity-engine-xml>
<Product
  productId="798936836182"
  smallImageUrl="/images/products/10000/1001MINIGOLF/small.jpg"
  mediumImageUrl="/images/products/10000/1001MINIGOLF/medium.jpg"
  largeImageUrl="/images/products/10000/1001MINIGOLF/large.jpg"
  originalImageUrl="/images/products/10000/1001MINIGOLF/original.jpg"
  detailImageUrl="/images/products/10000/1001MINIGOLF/detail.jpg"
/>

[plus 1000s more].....

</entity-engine-xml>

A single script can generate the above XML file (with 1000s of products),
resize 1000s of "original.jpg" into multiple images, and import into OFB,
all in one pass.  Standard stuff for anyone competent with perl/shell
scripting.

What you don't want is make java do busy, CPU intensive work and have it
render different sizes "on the fly", if that is what you are suggesting.