Hello,

I had such problems with characters some time before and ones was fixed by the
next steps (Centos 7 + mariadb):

1.        CREATE DATABASE db_name DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci;

2.       GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON db_name.* TO 'om_admin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED
BY 'om_admin_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

3.       Flush privileges;

4.       quit; (from mariadb management interface)

5.       /etc/my.cnf.d/server.cnf

[mysqld]

innodb_file_per_table    (this option is not relatated to discussed question)

skip-character-set-client-handshake

collation-server=utf8_unicode_ci

character-set-server=utf8

6.       /etc/my.cnf.d/server.cnf/client.cnf

[client]

default-character-set = utf8

7.       systemctl restart mariadb.service

8.       Then install Openmeetings……

Maybe this will help you.

Best regards,

Nik