Hello Aaron,

AFAIK no-one uses pure threads these days
Thread pools are being used instead

Thread creating/destroying is expensive process, so threads are being
To ensure regular clean-up you can set-up more aggressive garbage
collector, but this might be counterproductive ....

I would set up 4-8Gb of RAM for java let it live :)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Aaron Hepp <aaron.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guess I should of phrased it a little differently, as yes there is just a
> single java process running; I was referring to the Process IDs (PIDs) that
> are created with each new thread.  At the eod after all users have left,
> there was still 139+ (threads) still running under /usr/bin/java associated
> with red5.  During the day max threads reached 185+.  While most of these
> threads are "idle" and never use much (if any) CPU time, each thread
> increases the memory space used by the main process.  Example at the
> beginning of the week with a fresh reboot and a load of red5 memory usage
> on the server was 650MB.  At the end of day one after all users had left
> memory usage was sitting at 943MB.  I am assuming this is from the orphaned
> threads that are still left running, as nothing else resides on this server
> besides maria and OM
> I have not tested it for a full week as I had been restarting the red5
> process each day to "clear up" the orphaned threads still running and to
> free up the locked process memory.  On a stop and start of the red5 process
> memory goes back down to 650-80 level (base line memory usage).  But
> starting next week I will monitor memory usage and thread count to see if
> they  increment each due to orphaned threads.  What some refer to as a
> memory leak
> As I had seen threads on performance issues I was wondering if they had
> checked their resources on their systems if they had been up and running
> for a long time to see if there were a lot of orphaned threads left hanging
> and if their issue was resolved via stopping and restarting the red5
> service.
> Thoughts.
> On 3/12/2018 10:53 PM, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
> htop is too clever :) it displays java internal threads
> ps will show you just one java process
> I would recommend to ensure limit for open files
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:45 AM, Aaron Hepp <aaron.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On average how many red5 processes for a single room running?  I have a
>> single room open with currently around 11 individuals in there, and looking
>> at <htop> there is around 50+ PIDs listed for red5 (attached image is going
>> to be large to capture most of the data)
>> And the amount of process continue to grow until I stop the service an
>> re-start it.  Wanted to make sure I didn't have something running wrong and
>> this was normal activity.  Even with no one in the room and fresh start of
>> the service there is around 30 process running under the same command.
> --
> Maxim aka solomax

Maxim aka solomax