Hi,

that is a nice idea! There are some ways how you can start.

Have you already looked at https://owncloud.org/contribute/? There are
the easiest ways to begin contributing to ownCloud.

You should consider coming to the ownCloud Conference
<https://occon17.owncloud.org/>, it is at the end of September. You can
get a nice overview about ownCloud there, and meet people with experience.

I have one last idea: if you want a simple task for the beginning, pick
an outdated app from https://apps.owncloud.com/ and look into the code.
Try to understand how it works, and then try to install it in a
brand-new ownCloud 10; fix the stuff which doesn't work yet, and as soon
as it works, publish it on https://marketplace.owncloud.com/. If you
succeed, you're an ownCloud app maintainer ;)

Good luck!

Best regards,

Emil
Community Magician