In addition to the above, in our 3.1/4.1 release, you can pass through
the principal and keytab file on the connection URL to connect to
different secure clusters, like this:

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:phoenix:h1,h2,h3:2181:user/principal:/user.keytab");

The full URL is now of the form
jdbc:phoenix:<quorom>:<port>:<rootNode>:<principal>:<keytabFile>

where <port> and <rootNode> may be absent. We determine that <port> is
present if it's a number and <rootNode> if it begins with a '/'.

One other useful feature from this work, not related to connecting to
a secure cluster, you may specify only the <principal> which would
cause a different HConnection to be used (per unique principal per
cluster). In this way, you can pass through different HBase properties
that apply to the HConnection (such as timeout parameters).

For example:

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:phoenix:h1:longRunning", props);

where props would contain the HBase config parameters and values for
timeouts in a "longRunning" connection which could be completely
different than connection gotten through this URL:

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:phoenix:h1:shortRunning", props);

Thanks,
James