Hello Prakash

Considering Hive or Phoenix is a little misleading they di serve different
needs, let me break it down as I can.

You mention security:
Phoenix and hive both work on a secured Hadoop cluster, but Hive with Hive
Atz has a more fine grained authorization model. So from that perspective
Hive has more features.

Query performance
On the performance side Phoenix has random read,write access where Hive is
a full data access, so no way to read a particular entry unless you read
the whole associated file.
So Hive is batch or interactive, meaning a couple of tens of seconds to get
your answer, where Phoenix can be sub second, the response time will depend
greatly on wether part of the pheonix key is in your query. I you do a full
table scan response time will suffer. Granted secondary indexes could help
you there.

SQL Semantics
Hive currently has a more rich sql semantics with analytics functions,
complex types etc...
Phoenix is also more limited than Hive in joins or UDFS

So I would use Hive for large data, random analysis and ETL, and pay the
price of the response time a little.
Phoenix on the other hand is great for large volumes of data where you can
set up your schema and especially keys according to specific needs and
query patterns, in this situation you would get great query performance.

To sum up in all honesty both are needed

Hope this helps

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Prakash Hosalli <prakash.hosa...@syncoms.com

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE