Here's the chart for time it takes for each of the parallel scans after
split. On RS where data is not read from disk scan gets back in ~20 secs
but for the RS which has 6 it's ~45 secs.

[image: Inline image 2]

 Yes I see disk reads with 607 ios/second on the hosts that stores 6 regions

Two things that you should try to reduce disk reads or maybe a combination
of both 1. Have only the columns used in your group by query in a separate
column family CREATE TABLE T (K integer primary key, GRPBYCF.UNIT_CNT_SOLD
integer, GRPBYCF.TOTAL_SALES integer, GRPBYCF.T_COUNTRY varchar, ...) 2.
Turn on snappy compression for your table ALTER TABLE T SET
COMPRESSION='SNAPPY' followed by a major compaction.

I tried to compact the table from the hbase web UI

You need to do *major_compact* from HBase shell. From UI it's minor.

- mujtaba