I removed the following from hbase-site.xml and tephra started correctly:

  <property>
    <name>hbase.zookeeper.quorum</name>
    <value>f826338-zookeeper.f826338</value>
  </property>

However, it now keeps trying to connect to zookeeper on localhost, which wouldn't work, because my zookeeper is on another host:

2016-03-31 00:06:21,972 WARN [main-SendThread(localhost:2181)] zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session 0x0 for server null, unexpected error, closing socket connection and attempting reconnect
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:717) at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxnSocketNIO.doTransport(ClientCnxnSocketNIO.java:361) at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1081)

Any ideas how this can be fixed?