> The stats table would purely be used to drive optimizer decisions in
> Phoenix. The data in the table is only collected during major compaction
> (or when an update stats is run manually), so it's not really meant for
> satisfying queries.
>
> For Kylin integration, we'd rely on Kylin to maintain the cubes and
> Calcite would be the glue that allows both Phoenix and Kylin to cooperate
> at planning time. I'm sure there'd be other runtime pieces required to make
> it work.

Understood. I'm not talking about query time. As I understand Kylin's
current state, it builds cubes from data in Hive tables conforming to a
star schema. My thinking is for an end-to-end Phoenix-driven data store,
where Kylin uses data stored in Phoenix as the source for building the
cubes. We don't store data in this schema structure in Phoenix, so
cube-building could be optimized by Phoenix's own stats table, instead of
cardinality queries running against Hive. In this deployment scenario, I
see no place for Hive at all.

I have no idea on the feasibility of BlinkDB integration, but conceptually
> BlinkDB could probably be used as a statistics provider for Phoenix.

I'm not talking about integration. I'm suggesting phoenix could support an
'approximate count' operator that generated a result based on queries to
the stats table. "Roughly how many rows are in this table?" Given the cost
of an actual row count, this would be a useful functionality to provide.