James,

We support upgrading among minor versions with no downtime (at least two
versions back, but in reality we go back further than that currently). See
our backward compatibility documentation here:
http://phoenix.apache.org/upgrading.html.

For 4.8, we've made some changes to local indexing and indexes on views
that require them to be rebuilt once you've deployed 4.8 on your cluster.
This is a bit out of the norm. We won't make changes to our data model that
would require any kind of downtime, though to take advantage of some new
features, you'd need to create a new table (for example with the new column
encoding features under development).

The EMR group at Amazon seem open to upgrading to new versions of Phoenix,
though I can't of course speak on their behalf.

Thanks,
James