Hi Vamsi,

*Explain plan:*
explain select * from vamsi.table_a where col2 = 'abc';
|                            PLAN                             |
| CLIENT 5-CHUNK PARALLEL 5-WAY FULL SCAN OVER VAMSI.TABLE_A  |
|     SERVER FILTER BY COL2 = 'abc'                           |

You are selecting all the columns of the table, which are not part of local
index (and are also not covered) so instead of scanning index and join back
to data table to get all the columns is costly operation. so optimizer
chooses data table to scan instead of using index to serve query.

below query should use local indexes:-
explain select col2, any_covered_colums from vamsi.table_a where col2 =
'abc';

For covered indexes , you can read
https://phoenix.apache.org/secondary_indexing.html

Regards,