Short of upgrading to 4.7 to leverage the UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY feature,
you can try setting the CURRENT_SCN property to Long.MAX_VALUE when you
connect. Another alternative would be to set it to one more than the
creation time of your tables. You can control the timestamp your tables are
created at by setting the CURRENT_SCN property on the connection making the
CREATE TABLE call. More on that here:
https://phoenix.apache.org/faq.html#Can_phoenix_work_on_tables_with_arbitrary_timestamp_as_flexible_as_HBase_API

Thanks,
James