Hey,

You mentioned that you sent a PrepareAndExecuteRequest. However, to do that, you would need to first: 1. Open a connection: https://calcite.apache.org/docs/avatica_json_reference.html#openconnectionrequest 2. Create a statement: https://calcite.apache.org/docs/avatica_json_reference.html#createstatementrequest 3. Call your PrepareAndExecute request: https://calcite.apache.org/docs/avatica_json_reference.html#prepareandexecuterequest

The phoenix query service uses Avatica (part of Apache Calcite), so you can find all the documentation for talking with the query server here: https://calcite.apache.org/docs/avatica_json_reference.html

I do recommend using protobufs over JSON as protobufs are now the default serialization method.

In terms of making your clients talk to the query server directly, I don't think that would be the best idea except in the case of some exceptions. While the query server supports authentication and authorization, I don't think it would be granular enough for most apps. Usually, you would need to have some business/domain layer and use phoenix as the storage/data access layer. However, it depends on your use-case :)

Cheers,
Francis