Wondering if anyone knows whether there is an approach to swap in custom
indexing implementation, while leveraging all other functionalities of
Phoenix. The initial goal is just in SELECT query, but would be nice to
make custom index maintenance integrated in record life cycle as well.

Phoenix supports secondary index already, but need to be more flexible with
real large data set when the format and quality varies.

For example, assuming we have a table "PEOPLE" which has a column "NAME"
stored person's name. If there is a record with "Joe Smith" as the value of
"NAME" column, it would be really powerful if we can find it by variants or
partial name as criteria. Ideally all the following query would find the
same record if we can plug-in a custom indexing implementation in Phoenix:

SELECT * FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME='Joe Smith';
SELECT * FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME='Smith,Joe';
SELECT * FROM PEOPLE WHERE NAME='Joseph Smith';

Given the secondary index has global vs. local implementation. I would
imagine there is some level of abstraction already on consuming the index.
Not expecting it would be official supported API, just some guidance on
where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy