The count would change when a major compaction is done. Back in 4.7, it may
have changed when a split occurs too (but this is no longer the case). I'd
recommend moving to a newer version: 4.7 was release almost two years ago
and is six releases back from the current 4.13 release. FWIW, we're getting
ready to release a 4.13 for CDH.