Thanks for bringing this to our attention. There's a bug here in that the
SYSTEM.STATS table has a custom split policy that prevents splitting from
occurring (PHOENIX-4700). We'll get a fix out in 4.14, but in the meantime
it's safe to split the table, as long as all stats for a given table are on
the same region.

    James