Josh,

Thanks for the info. Both of those seem like potentially good options.

For what it's worth, I did a really simple demo before asking this. It
involved setting up a simple table with labels and just using Phoenix as a
read-only view. Worked like a charm. The unprivileged user was redacted
just like we expected on the cell they didn't have the final label to see.

Since we're not expecting to give the users write access to the protected
data, all we need is to figure out how to tailor the connection to make
sure HBase knows what authorizations a user has.

Mike