My former employer has been running for the last 3 years thousands of
queries per second (with milliseconds response time) scanning thousands of
rows in tables with a few billion rows without further issues. Combined
with an additional write load of a few thousand writes per second. But it
didn't use secondary indexes.

I'd say that Phoenix is not a substitute neither for Oracle (index
integrity, acid, etc.. ) nor Hive (OLAP?). It leans on top of HBase, which
is good doing small-to-medium size range scans over huge datasets under low
latency.