Thanks for the response

I'm pretty much tied to Phoenix 4.14.2-HBase-1.4 as we are using Amazon
EMR.

Looks like I can get the table using the same deprecated method that
Phoenix does:

tablename comes from the Mutation kvPair in the original fragment

HTableInterface hTable = conn.getQueryServices().getTable(tableName);
hTable.batch(mutationList);

This saves the data without having to do a jdbc commit().  So it
'looks' like it works, which brings me to the next problem, how to
confirm!

Time to inspect the HBase API...

That's a fight for another day

Thanks again.