Are you saying that you didn't restart the Phoenix QueryServer after you restored the Phoenix system tables?

And then, after running into issues, you restarted PQS and then it worked as expected?

I can respect that we probably don't say this anywhere, but you should definitely be restarting any Phoenix clients (including PQS) if you are wiping the Phoenix system tables.