What version did you upgrade from ?
What columns do you have after the upgrade ?
Have you started Phoenix at least once with HBase superuser privileges
(RWXC) after the upgrade ?
Please file a JIRA with this information.

If you can afford to lose the data in SYSTEM.LOG, then the easiest fix is
to drop SYSTEM.LOG.
Phoenix will re-create it with the correct columns on the next connection.

Istvan.

--
*István Tóth* | Sr. Staff Software Engineer
*Email*: st...@cloudera.com