​​
Hi, guys--

I'm struggling with figuring out how to determine what type a cell SHOULD
be. If I use CellType, what I get is the contents of the cell as they
currently are. For example, an empty cell which is formatted as "#,##0"
will have a type of "blank" but I'd like to be able to get that it's meant
to be a number.

This came up because my users were creating Excel spreadsheets with a
10-digit ID number like and defining it as "a number between 1000000000 and
9999999999". The problem being this would end up as a double, and (at
export time) come out as something like "1.23456789E9".

So I sez to 'em, I sez, "Hey, it's not a number, it's a numeral. Format it
as text in your Excel, and I'll know to treat it as a string." That seems
sensible to me: If it's a numeral, don't pretend it's a number. It's just a
string that happens to look like a number.

But then I realized that blanks all come out as, well, blank (or
CellType/BLANK rather). Do I have to suss the type from the format manually
to get the type they mean? Is there any way for them to specify in Excel
that something is a particular type that POI can tell me what they mean?
--

*Blake Watson*

*PNMAC*
Application Development Manager