Hi,

for the out-of-memory, I'd run it on my/your local machine and launch a
profiler, to find out where the memory is gone. I'm not too familiar with
SXSSF, so take it with a grain of salt: I'd suspect two things: the
SharedStringsTable or your binding code filling the SXSSF workbook.

For the other approach of generating the sheet.xml data directly ... it's a
valid approach and depending on your data, it might be implemented in few
lines of code (50-100).
You might need to change a range argument in the xmls, but that's easy to
verify by taking a template .xlsx, adding a few rows in Excel and then unzip
the before/after version and comparing their content.

Do you know how to do the second approach yourself?
(i.e. generate a text (.xml) file and import it into a .zip file)

Andi