Hi,

You probably need to look at how Sheet.autosizeColumn() is implemented. It
calculates the length of text in cells and set the size of the whole column
to be as large as the largest one.

That should allow to compute how many cells the text actually "overflows"
into and thus provide the colspan count.

Dominik.