BTW The Universal Recommender has it’s own community support group here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/actionml-user

From: Pat Ferrel <p...@occamsmachete.com> <p...@occamsmachete.com>
Reply: user@predictionio.apache.org <user@predictionio.apache.org>
<user@predictionio.apache.org>
Date: May 11, 2018 at 10:07:25 AM
To: user@predictionio.apache.org <user@predictionio.apache.org>
<user@predictionio.apache.org>, Nasos Papageorgiou
<at.papageorg...@gmail.com> <at.papageorg...@gmail.com>
Subject:  Re: UR: build/train/deploy once & querying for 3 use cases

Yes but do you really care as a business about “users who viewed this also
viewed that”? I’d say no. You want to help them find what to buy and there
is a big difference between viewing and buying behavior. If you are only
interested in increasing time on site, or have ads shown that benefit from
more views then it might make more sense but a pure e-comm site would be
after sales.

The algorithm inside the UR can do all of these but only 1 and 2 are
possible with the current implementation. The Algorithm is call Correlated
Cross Occurrence and it can be targeted to recommend any recorded behavior.
On the theory that you would never want to throw away correlated behavior
in building models all behavior is taken into account so #1 could be
restated more precisely (but somewhat redundantly) as “people who viewed
(but then bought) this also viewed (and bought) these”. This targets what
you show people to “important” views. In fact if you are also using search
behavior and brand preferences it gets more wordy, “people who viewed this
(and bought, searched for, and preferred brands in a similar way) also
viewed” So you are showing viewed things that share the type of user like
the viewing user. You can just use one type of behavior, but why? Using all
makes the views more targeted.

So though it is possible to do 1-3 exactly as stated, you will get better
sales with the way described above.

Using my suggested method above #1 and #3 are the same.

   1. "eventNames”: [“view”, “buy”, “search”, “brand-pref”]
   2. "eventNames”: [ “buy”,“view”, “search”, “brand-pref”]
   3. "eventNames”: [“view”, “buy”, “search”, “brand-pref”]

If you want to do exactly as you have shown you’d have to throw out all
correlated cross-behavior.

   1. "eventNames”: [“view”]
   2. "eventNames”: [“buy”]
   3. "eventNames”: [“buy”, “view”] but then the internal model query would
   be only the current user’s view history. This is not supported in this
   exact form but could be added.

As you can see you are discarding a lot of valuable data if you insist on a
very pure interpretation of your 1-3 definitions, and I can promise you
that most knowledgable e-com sites do not mince words to finely.