When you query for all users in batch, the system is easily overloaded. This is
the worst case query situation where no caching applies (for instance).

1) run batch queries at low input load time, because you are competing with
input for access to HBase
2) throttle your query speed and/or number of connections. Hopefully you are
making multiple connections in parallel.
3) scale up your HBase & Elasticsearch deployments, which tend to reach query
performance limits before other services.