Hi Elliot,

If I make an access request to a Ranger plugin with a user specified in the
request, but no groups, can the plugin lookup the groups for said user?
- yes user group mapping compute happens at the plugin/service end and
completely taken care by the service

This assumes that an identity service is syncing users and group membership
to Ranger (we do this with AD) and that users and groups are synced from
Ranger to the service plugin (I'm not sure if this happens).
- NO, users and group just sync to ranger, they are not passed on to the
service plugin, user group mapping happens locally at the service end

Is this a supported capability, and what if anything must I do do enable it?
- yes this is supported, AFAIK most of the hadoop services rely on the
core-site.xml for fetching the user group mapping, following documentation
may be helpful:
https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/HDP3/HDP-3.1.0/installing-ranger/content/set_up_hadoop_group_mapping_for_ldap_ad.html

-Deepak