Finally found the issue. By default, after the setup the property
ranger.usersync.enabled is set to false in ranger-ugsync-site.xml. Setting
it to true made synchronisation from LDAP work.
Don't know why this behaviour has been implemented, but it seems very
unnatural as this isn't even described in the install.properties file.
Maybe it's a bug ?
Best regards,

Loïc CHANEL
Technical leader Big Data