I'm just starting to look at Shale and would like to use the Tiles
functionality.  I understand that there is an optional Tiles 2 JAR that is
still in the Struts sandbox.

Yes, there is still a snapshot built from the code in the Struts sandbox.
You can see the snapshot builds here:

http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/struts/tiles/tiles-core/

The version that currently works with Shale is 2.0-r468346-SNAPSHOT.  If you
are using Maven you can use the Tiles doc located here:

   http://tiles.apache.org/

If you are not using Maven you'll need to download the version noted above
from the snapshot repository listed above.

Does all Tiles functionality in Shale require this sandbox version of Tiles
or is there some Tile functionality available out-of-the-box with Shale?

No, if you want to use Shale-Tiles you'll have to use the sandbox version of
Tiles.  This should all be clearing up soon as Tiles has been promoted to a
TLP.  My hope is that you will see an actual release coming out soon.

HTH,
Greg