>From: "Hasan Turksoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> jsf-ri1.1 contains converter for "javax.faces.DateTime" class only... not
> for java.util.Date class.... you can download and look at
> jsf-ri-config.xml...
>
> in fact, this is not the main problem... i can overcome my issue by adding a
> converter for "java.util.Date"... But this doesn't solve the problem in the
> origin....
>
> Because; in JSF, one can add custom converter for each component
> separately... in such a case, using my by-type java.util.Date converter is
> meaningless! because, user assigned a custom converter for that field!! JSF
> will use it instead of by-type converter... so, commons should use it too...
>
> now, when assigned custom validator for fields,, JSF RI and CommonsValidator
> behaving differently!!! this is not an acceptable situation! isn't it?

I agree it is not acceptable but they are not behaving differently.  The
validator assigned to the component will be invoked before the CommonsValidator
is invoked.

> to realize the problem... when returned to my sample in the previous post;
> suppose that i have a "java.util.Date" converter... and no custom
> converter... in this case, CommonsValidator and JSF RI will work same..
> both will use our by-type converter...
>
> But, if i use a custom converter for my inputtext as below;
>
> **
> > />
>

> then, JSF RI will use this custom component converter to convert it's value
> but CommonsValidator will use our by-type java.util.Date converter...
> different behaviours!!...

Not exactly, the "java.util.Date" converter is used by commons validator to
convert a Date object to a String (within the validator's validate method).
The custom converter assigned to the component (the same component that is
using commons validator), is being invoked prior to the call to commons
validator.
I'm not disagreeing that you have uncovered a bug that will be addressed but
what I'm saying is that Shales Commons Validator is using JSF converters as a
utility [1] for converting from one data type to another.  It does this
nonsense to provide a generic way (single converter that works for any rule) to
invoke any custom validation rule that you might add.
I'll try to summarize with code:
// Validator's interface
public void validate(FacesContext context, UIComponent component, Object value)
 {
..
Date obj  = (Date) value;    // value is already processed by the components
converter (String --> Date)
ConverterHelper converterHelper = new ConverterHelper();
// uses the a JSF converter Object to String
String objString = converterHelper.asString(context, obj.getClass(), obj);
boolean isValid = isDate(objString, datepattern);

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/shale/framework/trunk/shale-core/src/main/java/org/apache/shale/util/ConverterHelper.java?view=markup

> In conclusion; when we look at JSF RI code, we see that; it first looks for
> custom component converter then, if can not find, searches for a by-type
> converter... CommonsValidator must work same i think...
>
> i have injected my solution into my CommonsValidator class and it works
> perfect... above suggestion should be implemented in original
> CommonsValidator releases as soon as possible i think...

I agree...

> i can provide code if required...
>
> regards..
>
> hasan..