I'm a step closer - it's something to do with the namespace
declarations. If I do this...

       <h:outputText xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html";
value="hello" />

Then the page renders as

 Hello hello

So the question becomes: why is my namespace declaration in the <html>
tag being ignored in the content page?

Further explaination: as I said, I'm using full XML views, so the <html>
tag is defined in a separate file (layout.html) and the content
(example.html) is pulled in using a <span jsfid="clay"
clayJsfid="example.html"> dynamic import.

It appears that the imported content file isn't inheriting values parsed
in the parent. Is there somewhere I can set up the namespaces so that
all the content html pages will be aware of them; that is, is there a
common root I can use? Having to re-declare the namespaces in every page
will be a right pain!

Cheers,
Ian.