Some more insights:

This gets called:

public void encodeAjax(FacesContext context)
            throws IOException
    {
        if (context == null) throw new NullPointerException("context");
        if (!isRendered()) return;
        Renderer renderer = getRenderer(context);
        if (renderer != null && renderer instanceof AjaxRenderer)
        {
            ((AjaxRenderer) renderer).encodeAjax(context, this);
        }
    }

renderer however is not an instance of AjaxRenderer, instead is a
ValidatorInputRenderer, which only extends Renderer, not AjaxRenderer.

So the code stops there.

What may we have to do here, to get it working in clay - don't know much
about the ValidatorInputRenderer yet ;)

Maybe its sufficient, to add the AjaxRenderer Interface?

Torsten