>From: "Craig McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On 6/23/07, Ryan Wynn wrote:
> > I have been thinking about the best way to go about building a wysiwyg
> > eclipse editor for jsf views. The only ones I have seen so far create
> > jsps.
>
> I can throw in a couple of thoughts based on our (Sun's) experience
> with WYSIWIG editing for JSF views in Java Studio Creator and Visual
> Web Pack.
>
> * The design surface we used started life (many years ago) as a
> very hacked version of the Swing HTML 3.2 widget, and nowadays
> looks nothing at all like that code.
>
> * The hard part about rendering JSF components isn't really the
> widget itself ... it's the fact that any reasonable JSF component
> is also going to assume that CSS can be used. Emulating all of
> *that* is not an easy task, no matter how you approach it. (We
> do a fairly large percentage of CSS 2, but there's tons of edge
> cases -- to say nothing of the fact that you need to decide which
> browser's incompatible behavior you should emulate for lots of
> these settings.)
>
> * To say nothing of the fact that, besides support for CSS, your
> typical JSF component today is probably also going to assume
> that JavaScript and DHTML are also available, so you can build
> user interfaces for Ajax enabled applications.

If you are not looking to build a tool that would work for all
design needs, I think that the MyFaces Trinidad components
are an interesting option for enterprise developers.  They have
a predefined css skins that apply application wide.  The java
script and PPR is built into the library.  You really don't even
need markup.  There is a component for everything.

The Infragistics smart client components are very popular amongst
the "dark-side" and have the same skinning idea [1].

[1] http://www.infragistics.com/dotnet/netadvantage/winforms.aspx#Overview

> * Creating Swing components that take CSS, DHTML, and
> JavaScript into account is, I suppose, technically feasible ...
> but by then you've written a pretty large portion of a web
> browser :-).

It's hard to believe that you can get these IDE's for free now.
Java Rocks!

> * Expecting JSF component authors to write Swing component
> analogs for all their components doesn't seem like something
> the market would accept very well.

No doubt, even selling JSP tags for this purpose....