I want to use an http header instead of a cookie for session management.
I have a web-service which is accessed from a web client (web application) and from a desktop client (desktop application). I want the desktop client to receive a session header which will be used for subsequent requests as a session id (Similar to OAuth authorization tokens). The desktop client and the web client will send all requests with this session header instead of a cookie.

How can I make shiro look for a certain header and not for a cookie when determining whether an http request is authenticated or not?

Thank you,