If you cannot log in then something is wrong - did an exception get thrown or
some other hint show up as to what might be the cause?

A failed login attempt should return an HTTP 401 response so as to behave in
a way that most people would expect - but there is no technical reason for
it.

Basic Authentication
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_access_authentication>   is the most
simple and widespread means for authentication with REST services but it is
definitely not a must. Also, BasicAuth sends username and password in clear
text (base64 encoded is *not* encrypted) so in a production environment you
should only use it in conjunction with TLS to prevent passwords from getting
stolen. Depending on your needs and preferences you may want to use a
different secure alternative instead, but that is totally up to you. I only
recommend BasicAuth because it is easy to do since it is part of the HTTP
specification and comes with lots of examples on the internet.

The port most people use for TLS is 443, we only use 8443 to prevent port
conflicts with other applications running on the same server and because
having non-root users open ports to listen below 1024 requires additional
magic under unix.

Yes, FormAuthenticationFilter defaults to authc with Shiro. We only use the
PassThruAuthenticationFilter because we do not need the additional features
that FormAuthenticationFilter offers.
PassThruAuthenticationFilter
<https://shiro.apache.org/static/1.3.2/apidocs/org/apache/shiro/web/filter/authc/PassThruAuthenticationFilter.html>