Hello Tom,

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.slf4j.user
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=slf4j-user
http://www.nabble.com/Slf4J---user-f13203.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/user%40slf4j.org/

Which jar files have you placed on your class path?

For FileAppender the file attribute should be:

  <file>c:/testlog1.log</file>

Tom Martin Norvang wrote:
Hi i am new to slf4j and have a few questions. I could not find out how to search the mailing list for older messages that might contain this subject. And i have searched everywhere online :)..almost.

1. Where do log files go when using the slf4j.Logger, f.ex;

import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;

public class Testing {
private static final Logger LOGGER = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Testing.class);

int value = 10;
        LOGGER.debug("the variable value ="+value);
        LOGGER.debug("The value of value = "+value);
    }
}

I am currently using eclipse, project structure and have placed a logback.xml file under the project root folder. The logback.xml file is an example file from the slf4j homepage;
<configuration>

  <appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender">
    <file>"c:\testlog1.log"</file>

    <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
<Pattern>%date %level [%thread] %logger{10} [%file:%line] %msg%n</Pattern>
    </layout>
  </appender>

  <root>
    <level value="debug" />
    <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
  </root>
</configuration>

No complaining about the slf4j jar files either.
The small application runs fine but i suspect that my logback.xml file is not in the right place and not read at all. I have tried to put it in several locations (JAVA_HOME, path, src folder etc). to no avail. I also did a search trough the whole disc, but no such file(testlog1.log). Any ideas what i am doing wrong. By the way i am on WinXP SP2 with JDK1.6.11. Installed.

Regards Tom Martin

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch