On 28 Mar 2014, at 02:10, Scott Clasen <scott.cla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the discussion.
>
> Just to note, I restarted the job yet again, and this time there are indeed
> tasks being executed by both worker nodes. So the behavior does seem
> inconsistent/broken atm.
>
> Then I added a third node to the cluster, and a third executor came up, and
> everything broke :|

This is kafka’s high-level consumer. Try to raise rebalance retries.

Also, as this consumer is threaded, it have some protection against this
failure - first it waits some time, and then rebalances.
But for spark cluster i think this time is not enough.
If there was a way to wait every spark executor to start, rebalance, and only
when start to consume, this issue would be less visible.