There is also this quote from the Tuning guide (http://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/tuning.html): " Finally, if you don't register your classes, Kryo will still work, but it will have to store the full class name with each object, which is wasteful."

It implies that you don't really have to register your classes with Kryo. However, what kind of waste are we talking about? :)
Ognen