It might help if I clarify my questions. :-)

1. Is persist() applied during the transformation right before the
persist() call in the graph? Or is is applied after the transform's
processing is complete? In the case of things like GroupBy, is the Seq
backed by disk as it is being created? We're trying to get a sense of how
the processing is handled behind the scenes with respect to disk.

2. When else is disk used internally?

Any pointers are appreciated.

-Suren