The only way i know to do this is to use mesos with zookeepers. you specify
zookeeper url as spark url that contains multiple zookeeper hosts. Multiple
mesos masters are then elected thru zookeeper leader election until current
leader dies; at which point mesos will elect another master (if still
left).

iirc, in this mode spark master never runs, only master slaves are being
spun by mesos slaves directly.