I'm guessing your shell stopping when it attempts to connect to the RM is
not related to that warning.  You'll get that message out of the box from
Spark if you don't have HADOOP_HOME set correctly.  I'm using CDH 5.0
installed in default locations, and got rid of the warning by setting
HADOOP_HOME to /usr/lib/hadoop.  The stopping issue might be something
unrelated.

Diana