Here's how I configure SBT, which I think is the usual way:

export SBT_OPTS="-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xmx1g"

See if that takes. But your error is that you're already asking for
too much memory for your machine. So maybe you are setting the value
successfully, but it's not valid. How big?