Hi Kristoffer,

You're correct that CDH5 only supports up to Java 7 at the moment. But
Yarn apps do not run in the same JVM as Yarn itself (and I believe MR1
doesn't either), so it might be possible to pass arguments in a way
that tells Yarn to launch the application master / executors with the
Java 8 runtime. I have never tried this, so I don't know if it's
really possible, and it's obviously not supported (also because Java 8
support is part of Spark 1.0 which hasn't been released yet).

You're welcome to try it out, and if you get it to work in some
manner, it would be great to hear back.

--
Marcelo