Nicholas,
   Good question. Couple of thoughts from my practical experience:

   - Coming from R, Scala feels more natural than other languages. The
   functional & succinctness of Scala is more suited for Data Science than
   other languages. In short, Scala-Spark makes sense, for Data Science, ML,
   Data Exploration et al
   - Having said that occasionally practicality does trump the choice of a
   language - last time I really wanted to use Scala but ended up in writing
   in Python ! Hope to get a better result this time
   - Language evolution is more of a long term granularity -  we do
   underestimate the velocity & impact. Have seen evolutions through languages
   starting from Cobol, CCP/M Basic,Turbo Pascal, ... I think Scala will find
   it's equilibrium sooner than we think ...

Cheers
<k/>