I used Java Decompiler to check the included
"org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64" .class file (in spark-assembly jar
file) and for both "encodeBase64" and "decodeBase64", there is only (byte
[]) version and no encodeBase64/decodeBase64(String).

I have encountered the reported issue. This conflicts with many libraries
that use version >= 1.4. Since spark-assembly takes precedence over spark
app jar, I have yet to find a way to work-around this.

Any advice, please?

Thank you.