The programming guide is part of the standard documentation:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html

Regarding specifics about SQL syntax and functions, I'd recommend using a
HiveContext and the HQL method currently, as that is much more complete
than the basic SQL parser provided by SQLContex (there are plans to improve
this to be closer to SQL-92 in the future).

If you use HQL you can just refer to Hive 0.12.0's documentation as we use
their parser and have wrappers for all the functions.