Thanks Sean.  I had actually already added exclusion rule for
org.mortbay.jetty - and that had not resolved it.

Just in case I used your precise formulation:

val excludeMortbayJetty = ExclusionRule(organization = "org.mortbay.jetty")
..
  ,("org.apache.spark" % "spark-core_2.10" % sparkVersion
 withSources()).excludeAll(excludeMortbayJetty)
  ,("org.apache.spark" % "spark-sql_2.10" % sparkVersion
 withSources()).excludeAll(excludeMortbayJetty)

However the same error still recurs:

14/06/28 05:48:35 INFO HttpServer: Starting HTTP Server
[error] (run-main-0) java.lang.SecurityException: class
"javax.servlet.FilterRegistration"'s signer information does not match
signer information of other classes in the same package