I've just tried it again, with the same results.

When you say "it worked" what does the NameNode page list as your
"Configured Capacity"?
For me, (apparently) regardless of what I specify in the --ebs-vol-size
parameter, I get a persistent HDFS capacity of 31.5 GB.

I also used df -h to see what drives were mounted, and I get the same drives
regardless of whether I specify the --ebs-vol-size parameter when I execute
the script...

Can you give me an exact command line that works for you?  I will try and
execute it verbatim.

Thanks,
-Ben