Hello all,

There is a bug in the spark-ec2 script (perhaps due to a change in the
Amazon AMI).

The --ebs-vol-size option directs the spark-ec2 script to add an EBS volume
of the specified size, and mount it at /vol for a persistent HDFS.  To do
this, it uses mkfs.xfs which is not available (though mkfs is).

To work around this, I was able to run "yum install xfsprogs" on the master
and each slave, and then use the --resume option with the script, and the
persistent HDFS actually worked!

This has been a frustrating experience, but I've used the spark-ec2 script
for several months now, and it's incredibly helpful.  I hope this post helps
towards fixing the problem!

Thanks,
-Ben

P.S.  This is the full initial command I used, in case this is isolated to
particular instance types or anything:
ec2/spark-ec2 -k ... -i ... -z us-east-1d -s 4 -t m3.2xlarge
--ebs-vol-size=250 -m r3.2xlarge launch ...

P.P.S.  Ganglia is still broken, and has been for a while...